Thursday, December 26, 2013

Celtic Solstice Finishing up the Baby Pinwheels and 4 patches ~ Clues 3 & 4

At the end of the last blog post, I had just finished my HST for Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Clue 3.  The next thing is to sew them together as pinwheels with the orange spinning clockwise. 
Chief helping me finger press two sides of the pinwheels.

 
One of the things I learned from this clue was to "spin" my center seams in the back of the pinwheel. To do this you need to take out the top two stitches of the seam sewn second to last (in black)  The last sewn seam connecting the two halves is in green.

 
Then when you open it up, looks like this.  Hopefully.  
This will make the center of your pinwheel lay flat and be easier to quilt.
And a good video to watch (Eleanor): 
the part about spinning the seam is at 22:45

I listened to A Christmas Carol while I spun all this little pinwheel seams! 

They are so pretty!

Yes, Chief wants to be in every picture.
The next clue was four patches.  Bonnie was taking it easy on us this week.
I finally got to use my strip cutting guide.  I have had it for years and never used it.  It works great and made the four patches go so much faster.

and spun some more seams.

while watching Emma  
(oh Mister Knightley, I am so sorry I am such a brat! Please marry me anyway! )
And they are all done and packed away in their pretty little box for safe keeping.
Waiting for clue 5 in the morning...
Check out the other linkys (linkies? linkees?) here: