Monday, December 16, 2013

Celtic Solstice Chevrons (say that 3 times fast!) and Baby Pinwheels ~ Week 3

For me, week 3 of Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice was actually finishing step 2  and starting step 3. these adorable little chevrons!  Since I was using mainly fat quarters, I followed the strip piecing method shown here.  Reminder to future self, these links won't work after Ms. Hunter's book comes out...check your folders.  This blog is mainly to help me remember what I did, so my notes may be a little cryptic.  If you have a question, leave me a message and I will try to help.  

Strips are cut to 1 5/8" and sewn together with the green in the center.  I used fat quarter length and got 6 chevron halfs per strip set. 

Then I used my little easy angle to cut off the tips.  Each side should measure 2 x 3.5"

Watch a good show while you are doing this...
Press one side toward neutral, one side toward yellow and the middle open.

The neutral fabric goes at the bottom of the chevron. 
I laid them out in stacks to be sure I sewed them together correctly.

Step one and two on my border fabric. 

Boxed up and put away for safe keeping.  Like quilt candy!  There is a lot of work in those little squares.
For the HSTs, I used the magic 8 technique.  I used 5" squares to allow a little fudging and squaring up.  Place right sides together and draw lines diagonally across the back of the lighter fabric.  Then sew scant 1/4" on either side of those lines.

Cut apart vertically, horizontally, and then between the drawn diagonal lines.



This gives you these little beauties.

I still have the pinwheels to put together.  Chief is keeping them safe for me until then.
(Yes, when he got up, he had little HST stuck to his belly!)

To see the other linkys, check here: